Waste Wise Schools Challenge
Congratualtions to the Byron Community Primary School, who are the winners of the 2016 Waste Wise Schools Challenge! BCPS took out the major prize of $1,500 for their short film, and the funds received will be used to improve waste management in their school.
BCPS demonstrated a clear engagement with the three key criteria: what they achieved throughout the year, creativity and what they would use the funds for, in a fabulous short film reflecting on the knowledge they gained throughout the year.
Their commitment to ‘the Dirty Dozen’ recycling rules and implementation of soft plastics recycling school wide was particularly impressive!
A big thanks to all of the wonderful schools who participated in 2016 and we look forward to working with you again in 2017.
1. Lismore City Council MRF (Materials Recovery Facility) - watch what happens to your recycling and organics
2. North East Waste - What can my Council recycle? Find out with the “what and where” web tool
3. Cool Australia website - learning activities for classroom use that are year level specific and linked to Australian Curriculum. Online Digital library with videos, images, infographics, research and news articles.
4. Science Project Ideas - basic explanation of what things are made from i.e. metals, paper, plastic & glass
5. Recycling Guide UK - the very basic processing steps required to recycle paper, plastic and aluminium cans.
6. I am making a difference: Sustainable Schools - teach waste - Units of work, lesson plans, support material, waste auditing, resources for Teachers and students.
7. Waste not - Trailer for 26 minute film “Waste not’ by Total Environment Centre and supporting videos.
8. DEC Environmental and Sustainable Education website - production roadmaps and many other teaching resources.
For more information please call the Byron Resource Recovery Education Officer on (02) 6626 7077