Waste wise events
Events are great for promoting community spirit and boosting local economies, yet thousands of tonnes of rubbish are generated as a result of events in the Northern Rivers each year. This waste represents a loss of resources. Up to 60% of waste can be recovered at events through introducing recycling. Find out how in the Recycling at Events brochure and Avoid Waste at Events brochure. Information regarding composting options is available in the Organics Recycling for Commercial Businesses in the NEWF brochure.
Check out what other events in your region have achieved:
- Case Study 1: Bangalow Markets 2007
- Case Study 2: Bangalow Billy Cart Derby 2007
- Case Study 3: Taste of Byron 2007
- Case Study 4: Byron Triathlon 2008
- Case Study 5: Byron Writers Festival 2008
- Case Study 6: Kites and Bikes Festival 2009
- Case Study 7: All Natural Expo 2009
It is important to start the Waste Wise Event Planning in the initial stages of your event planning. Waste avoidance and recycling objectives can be incorporated into each step of the planning process. The first step is to complete a Waste Wise Management Plan (WWMP).
The majority of waste generated at events is via catering. Early communication with stallholders can help avoid unnecessary packaging, like polystyrene and reduce the waste generated. Event organisers should consider developing Stallholder Guidelines that clearly outline what packaging requirements are acceptable and unacceptable at your event.
A local guide to Biodegradable Packaging Suppliers and Products will assist stallholders to find alternate packaging that can be composted if facilities are available.
Byron Shire Council has dedicated event bins available for community events. Red lidded bins are used for waste and yellow lidded bins with rosette lids for recycling. They are well signed to encourage the correct usage. To organise the bins phone Trevor Fenn on 6684 4870. The Council also has a banner which you can utlise to promote your Waste Wise Event.
Promoting recycling at your event is important to the success of your recovery. A multi-levelled approach to delivering the message is best. Use this advertisement in your brochures, program or web page, communicate a recycling message on the PA system at regular intervals during the event. Write a media release that highlights your recycling initiatives and successes.
How can Council help
Some of the ways that Council can support you are:
- Provide dedicated event waste bins and recycling bins with fitted rosettes and locks to reduce contamination. These bins are well signed and target aluminium, glass, plastic containers (marked 1-7 except for plastic bags, film and polystyrene) and cardboard.
- Deliver and service event waste and recycling bins (fees may apply)
- Provide Waste Wise Event signage and banners to promote recycling facilities
- Give you advice on waste minimisation and avoidance strategies.
- Assist you complete a Waste Management Plan for your event.
- Help you locate waste contractors and sources for recyclables.
- Provide information on composting organics from events.
- Organise the hire of Council's waste education trailer to help promote waste reduction and event recycling facilities.
Contact Byron Shire Council Waste Management on 6684 4870.
For more information on Waste Wise Events visit the North East Waste Forum (NEWF) website.