Skip to Navigation

Ranger Services

Byron Shire Council Ranger Services play a significant role towards making our community a better place to live. Rangers work with the local community and other government agencies to promote compliance through both education and enforcement.

Council's Rangers undertake a wide range of duties, including:

  • Regular patrols of parks, reserves and beaches in relation to illegal camping and compliance with Council policy and relevant laws
  • Animal control
  • Daily operation and maintenance of the Dog Pound
  • Microchipping of Animals
  • Operation of stock pound
  • Response to emergency calls after hours
  • Issuing of Licenses for Buskers and Beach Permits
  • Inspect overgrown land and arrange clearing
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Issuing infringement notices
  • General reporting of dangerous or unsafe situations. Rangers are aware of Council liability in relation to many situations and report any situations where it is felt Council may have some degree of liability.
  • Assist Police in joint operations within the Shire.
  • Ongoing security to Council property and plant
  • Patrolling areas where regular rubbish dumping occurs.
  • Investigating incidents.

Much of the work done by rangers is a result from requests from members of the community and often involves an investigation. In attempting to find solutions, our rangers attempt to help the community as a whole.

The Rangers ensure that a balance is provided to enable consistency in law enforcement to keep people safe as well as maintain the enjoyment of the local area and lifestyle for people within the community. 

Council’s rangers are available daily as follows:

During normal business hours 8.30am to 4.30pm

02 6626 7000

After hours emergency services

02 6622 7022

To Report an Issue

To report an issue please use Council’s online ‘Report it’ form




The Rangers DO NOT attend to incidents involving the following. Please contact the relevant authority or organisation:



Phone or website

  • Cruelty to animals
  • Animal welfare-for all animals on private property
  • RSPCA NSW Emergencies

Dead animals on Council property

Byron Shire Council

  • 02 6626 7000 8.30am to 4.30pm
  • 02 6622 7022 After Hours

Dead animals on private property

Property owner to remove


Insects and spiders

Contact your local pest controller


All native animals (kangaroos, wombats, snakes etc)

NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Service)

1300 072 757

Injured native animals, birds and reptiles

WIRES (Wildlife Information and Rescue Service)

Water and sewage mains, trees, roads

Byron Shire Council

  • (02) 6626 7000 8.30am to 4.30pm
  • 02 6622 7022 After Hours

Barking dogs, roosters, loud music, revving cars etc


NSW Police Assistance Line (PAL)

131 444


Emergency services

If you are a victim of a crime, other than life threatening or time critical emergency situations, you should phone  the Police Assistance Line on 131444



  • Break and Enter
  • Motor Vehicle/ Vessel Theft
  • Stealing
  • Malicious Damage, including Graffiti
  • Minor Traffic Crashes
  • Lost Property

Police Assistance Line (PAL)

131 444