Possum Creek Bridge
Completed:9 July 2010
Possum Creek Bridge reconstruction is complete and the road is now open to traffic.
What's happened at Possum Creek Bridge
- Structural failure of eastern bridge abutment in September 2007
- Immediate closure of the bridge by Council to stop vehicle and pedestrian traffic
- Council completed an engineering inspection of the bridge in September 2007, recommending demolishing the existing bridge & replacing with a new structure
- Council allocated $640,000 to the project at its Ordinary Meeting on 25 October 2007, and resolved to commence detailed design of the new structure
- A Consultant was engaged in November 2007 to complete the detailed design of the bridge
- Council completed engineering survey of the bridge site in November 2007
- Further deterioration of the eastern bridge abutment occurred in December 2007 required Council to arrange immediate demolition of the existing bridge
- Council applied for a permit from NSW Fisheries for the demolition works, undertook a bat survey, and engaged a licenced demolition contractor to undertake the demolition work
- Demolition of the bridge commenced on 21 January 2008
- Following completion of the demolition work, Council completed landscaping works on 28 February 2008 to rehabilitate and stabilise the embankment of the creek
- Council received an options report from the bridge design consultant on 19 February 2008, recommending replacement with a steel plate arch structure, or a single span concrete bridge
- Geotechnical Investigation was carried out in April 2008
- Geotechnical Report was completed 5 May 2008
- Based on the results of the Geotechnical report and consideration
of other design issues, Council has chosen to proceed with the detailed design of a new concrete bridge
- Preliminary plans have been completed and a General Arrangement Plan of the bridge is available for viewing on this web-page
- Final plans have been completed in March 2009
- Council has completing environmental assessments and approvals
- Tenders closed for the bridge reconstruction on 18 June 2009
- At the Ordinary Meeting held on 13 August 2009, Council resolved (09-654):
- That Council aware Tender 2009-00021 - Opossum Creek Bridge Replacement to Neumann Contractors, for $669,350.00 including GST.
- That Council makes public its decision, including the name and amount of the successful tenderer, in accordance with Clause 179(b) of the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005.
Whats happening at Possum Creek Bridge
- Neumann Contractors will be completing the bridge in January 2010. After the bridge is completed, Council staff will construct the road approaches and then open the bridge to traffic once roadworks are completed.