Users of the NSW Government site are entitled to expect that any information as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales government’s privacy responsibilities and obligations. The New South Wales government’s privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the Byron Shire Council site, our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it;
- your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and
- the type of browser and operating system you have used.
In addition to web server logs, the Byron Shire Council also uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. ('Google'). Reports obtained from Google Analytics are used to help improve Council's website.
Google Analytics uses 'cookies' to help analyse how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States.
Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of our website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for Byron Shire Council to identify patterns of usage of the site. This will assist us in improving the Byron Shire Council site and the services offered on it.
Byron Shire Council will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
Byron Shire Council will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published Byron Shire Council pages;
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the Byron Shire Council site;
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the Byron Shire Council site by other sites;
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the Byron Shire Council site;
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed; and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the Byron Shire Council site by other users.
Byron Shire Council reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the Byron Shire Council site raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the event of an investigation, Byron Shire Council will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
What will we do with information provided in Feedback?
Byron Shire Council provides feedback facilities on the Byron Shire Council site to allow users to provide input into the future development of the site and to comment on the provision of service by Council.
The provision of personal details on feedback is optional.
Users may provide personal details for the purpose of receiving a reply to their feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. We will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
Byron Shire Council may publish aggregated information about feedback on the site, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
Will this policy be updated over time?
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.