Footsteps to Sustainability
Litter free lunch at Durrumbul Public School
Council has a brand new education program for schools and is working with schools in a partnership with the North East Waste Forum, Rous Water and Solo Resource Recovery.
The aim is to increase the skills and knowledge of students and their local school community to make informed decisions about ways to minimise the impact we have on the environment. The program is flexible and aims to create partnerships with schools and their community.
Footsteps to Sustainability offers tailor -made support and resources to suit each school. There is the opportunity for networking with other schools, program evaluation and follow up with a chance to celebrate achievements.
The program shows how schools can achieve some worthwhile sustainability outcomes through a series of simple steps.
Ocean Shores Public School
- Developing a School Environmental Management Plan (SEMP)
- Conducting School and home audits for: Water and Waste
- Conducting School talks and activities for Waste and Water - waste reduction, worm farming, composting, water catchment, water treatment
- Setting up bin stations and signage for schools
- Recognition of successes through accreditation & awards
- Having a Litter Free Lunch
- Setting up Waste Warriors with the SRC
- Making school banners
- Having a visit from the North East Waste Forum's Waste Education trailer
- Having a visit from the Water Catchment Trailer (available June 2009)
- Calculating footprints for home and school
- Student Activities/Units of Work/ links
- Green Canteens
- Accessing Grants and Funding Assistance
- Promoting your schools successes
Mullumbimby High School
Durrumbil Public School
Contact: Evironmental Education Officer 02 6626 7077