Skip to Navigation

Flood Recovery Services - Contact Information

Flood Recovery Services Contact Information

Department of Human Services - Centrelink- 180 22 66

DHS provide Australian Government services and payments, and information on Government assistance available to people in crisis or whose circumstances have changed.

Disaster Welfare Services- 1800 018 444

DWS provide disaster relief grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes have been significantly damaged or destroyed. Provides assistance for those with limited financial resources and no insurance.

Housing NSW -1800 422 322

Housing NSW provides assistance with housing and accommodation for those affected by the floods.

Australian Red Cross- 1800 812 028

Australian Red Cross provide personal support to those affected by the floods.

NSW Mental Health-1300 137 934

A free service has been established to help those affected by the floods and is available Mon to Fri 8am – 6pm.

In person and telephone counselling is available and no referral is needed. 

Lifeline- 13 11 44

Lifeline is available 24 hours for people experiencing personal crisis.

Small Business NSW- 1300 134 359

The Business Connect program provides advice on managing your business and accessing financial assistance.

Services NSW- 13 77 88

Services NSW will replace certificates and drivers licences at no cost to those affected by the floods.

Legal Aid- 1300 888 529

Legal Aid can provide free legal advice and minor assistance to people affected by disasters on a range of issues including insurance, tenancy and credit and debt problems.

NSW Fair Trading- 13 32 20

Fair Trading provides assistance & advice to consumers, tenants and businesses regarding fair and ethical practice.

NSW Rural Assistance Authority- 1800 678 593

RAA provide disaster relief low interest loans of up to $130,000 to eligible primary producers and small businesses to eligible primary producers. They can also assist with Category C grant applications and enquiries.

Insurance Council of Australia- 1800 734 621

ICA can help policyholders with general inquiries about the insurance claims process.

NSW Environment Protection Authority- 131 555

The EPA provide advice regarding waste disposal and contaminated land concerns.


The recovery grant is designed to cover the cost of clean-up and restoration to assist small businesses which have suffered direct damage as a result of a natural disaster, to enable them to continue or commence operations as soon as possible, and to assist with the costs of relocation to temporary premises in cases where immediate re-opening of damaged premises is not possible.

Please note that for an application to be assessed, it must be accompanied by copies of the following documents, which demonstrate that the small business meets the eligibility criteria:

* latest Business Tax Return (Note: if the business has been operating for less than a year, it can provide a copy of its latest BAS instead); and

* latest Personal Tax Returns fo all members of the Business Enterprise; and

* latest utilities bill (e.g. electricity, telephone, gas)

Please find below frequently asked questions in relation to the recovery grant.

Who is eligible for the grant?

Businesses that:

  • were conducting business in the specified area prior to and including the date of the event, or are a business enterprise in the development phase (eg. premises being prepared but trading had not yet commenced); and
  • are intending to re-establish in the specified area; and
  • have suffered direct damage to their premises and/or tools of trade (eg. equipment, plant) and the essential cost of repair or replacement are the applicant's responsibility; and
  • derive the majority (more than 50 percent) of their individual gross income from the business enterprise; and
  • have less than 20 full time (or equivalent) employees; and 
  • are registered with the Australian Taxation Office as a business, partnership or sole trader; and
  • have an Australian Business Number (ABN).

Note: Eligible small businesses may include locally owned and operated franchises; businesses not operating from commercial premises but which experienced damage to primary equipment; home based enterprises (claiming only the costs directly attributable to the business).

Who is NOT Eligible for the grant?

  • businesses that are part of a national chain or company
  • public companies alone, or in association with other companies
  • primary producers who are eligible for other forms of assistance
  • businesses which have not incurred clean-up, removal of debris or restoration costs but have suffered a loss of income as a result of the event
  • home based ‘hobby’ businesses (which produce less than 50% of your income). If you work from home and think this may apply to your business you should discuss your case with the Authority.

What costs are covered?

Eligible expenditure for recovery grants includes:


 - equipment and materials to undertake clean-up

 - additional labour costs (above and beyond normal wage expenditure)

Removal of debris:

 - carting away damaged goods and material

 - cost of disposal


 - payment of trades people to conduct safety inspections

 - essential repairs to premises and internal fittings (eg. floor covering, electrical rewiring, shelving)

 - purchase or hire/lease costs for equipment essential to the immediate resumption of operations

 - leasing of temporary premises

 - replacement of stock which is essential to the immediate resumption of operations.