Skip to Navigation

Equivalent Tenement Policy

Byron Shire Council's current Equivalent Tenement (ET) Policy 13/005 can be found:

Purpose of the ET Policy?

The purpose of this policy is to calculate water, bulk water and sewer developer contributions for any development which has an existing or proposed connection to Council's water and/or sewerage systems.

What are Equivalent Tenements?

An ET is a standard measure used to assess the impact of a particular development or land type on Councils water and sewerage systems, relative to a standard residential property.

A standard residential property is considered to have an ET value of one, which equates to one
standard water developer servicing charge, one bulk water developer servicing charge and one sewerage service charge.

ET assessments for non standard residential properties, commercial and industrial developments however are calculated by applying an ET factor in accordance with Appendix A of the ET Policy.

What are Section 64 contributions?

Water and Sewer developer contributions are applied under Section 64 of the Local Government Act 1993 which enables a council to levy developer charges for water supply and sewerage. These charges are an upfront charge, levied to recover part of the infrastructure costs inccured by Council in servicing new developments, or additions/changes to existing developments. 

Developer servicing charges serve two functions:

  • They provide a source of funding for infrastructure required for new urban development or growth; and
  • They provide pricing signals regarding the actual cost of urban development.

NSW Local Water Utilities (LWU) who propose to levy s64 charges for water supply and/or sewerage are required to prepare Development Servicing Plans (DSP) for both Water Supply and Sewerage. These DSP documents detail the calculation of developer charges and are required to be fair and transparent.

Byron Shire Councils current DSP for Water Supply and Sewerage can be found here

Calculate costs of ET 

Costs per ET can be found here

Worked examples / Frequently Asked Questions

Worked Example - Dual Occupancy
Worked Example - Secondary Dwelling