Skip to Navigation

Planning, Development and Building

Most developments in Byron Shire need Development Consent from the Council before they can proceed.

“Development” is defined by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, and includes erecting or demolishing a building, subdividing land, changing the use of land, or carrying out work on land

However, some of these activities do not require development consent.  Work or activities that do not require development consent are defined in the:

Council can advise you whether or not your proposal needs development consent or some other form of approval.

For every property transaction you make, you need to think about tax implications

To help you to determine property related GST obligations, refer to the GST and Property Guide on the Australian Taxation Office website.