Skip to Navigation

Construction Certificates, Complying Development Certificates and the Construction Process

Proposals for most building work are assessed and determined in two stages. Firstly, development consent is obtained from Council followed by a construction certificate.

Monitoring compliance with the development approval and issuing an occupation certificate are the final stages of the process.

When development consent has been obtained, but before any building, subdivision or construction works commence:

  • A construction certificate must be obtained from Council or an accredited certifier
  • A principal certifying authority (PCA) is appointed and Council is to be notified of the appointment.
    Council is to be notified at least two days before building or subdivision work is to commence.

Should you require further information, copies of application forms or details of Council's fees, please contact Council's Byron Building Approvals Certification Unit on 02 6626 7050, or visit Council's Customer Service Centre between 9.00am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday.