Council’s commitment to the provision of community services involves engaging the community in determining a shared vision which takes into account priorities for social sustainability. Council is committed to working in partnership with the community and relevant government departments to initiate and/or facilitate actions to meet local community needs that have been identified in various social and community planning documents.
Council’s Community Policy Officer works with the local community, agencies and government departments to respond to community based issues, and support the implementation of targeted projects and programs.
The position is partly funded by the Department of Community Services to administer the annual Area Assistance Scheme funding. Other projects include:
- Development of community planning documents, including the Byron Shire Social Plan and the Community Safety Plan.
- Funding submissions to implement key strategies identified in Council’s planning documents. These include Community Safety Projects such as the Sexual Assault Prevention Campaign, Safe Events Project and Youth Development Funding.
- The Affordable Housing Project which aims to develop affordable housing in Byron Shire.
- Developing a Community Profile based on the latest census data.
- Maintaining links and sharing relevant information through the Interagency Network of Community Workers.
Council’s Community Policy Officer can be contacted on:
Phone: 02 6626 7000
Fax: 02 6684 3018
Byron Bay Community and Cultural Centre
Byron Bay's Community Centre is home to key community and education organisations including Bay FM, Southern Cross University, ACE and the Writers Centre. In addition, the Centre provides vital community services such as breakfast for the homeless, a pregnancy support group and emergency relief appointments.
Located in the centre of town on Jonson Street. The theatre and the function rooms are available for hire. The Byron Shire Community Directory is also produced by the Byron Bay Community Centre.
Australia's most extensive directory of community support services which allows you to search by town or postcode and providing access health, welfare and community service records.