Skip to Navigation

Building Overview

Prior to carrying out any building work or renovations, it is important to find out if the particular work requires approval.

In most cases, you will need to lodge a development application with Council and obtain a Construction Certificate from either Council or an Accredited Certifier.

In some cases, only a Complying Development Certificate may need to be obtained from the Council or Accredited Certifier.

Certain types of small-scale development, building work and changes of use of a premises, may be classed as Exempt Development and not require Council approval, subject to specific requirements and limitations.

All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards.

As a property owner it is important to decide whether you engage Council's Building Certification Team or an Accredited Certifier to approve your construction certificate and undertake the certification and inspection work for your development.

What is a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)

A PCA is the person or authority responsible for ensuring compliance with the conditions of development consent, the Building Code of Australia, and the objectives of the Environmental Planning & Assessment (EP&A) Act 1979.

A PCA is required to:

  • ensure compliance with the conditions of consent
  • issue the Construction Certificate
  • conduct inspections at each required critical stage of construction
  • promptly advise the applicant, after each relevant inspection, of any outstanding work
  • issue the Occupation Certificate.

A PCA can be either a Private Accredited Certifier or Byron Shire Council’s Building Certification Team. Private certifiers are professionals accredited under schemes managed by authorised bodies approved by the Minister for Planning.

If you appoint a private certifier, Council's role is limited. However, you must notify Council at least two days before commencing works of whom you have appointed as your PCA, by completing a Notice of Commencement application form.

We encourage you to engage Byron Shire Council’s Building Certification team to conduct the approval and inspection functions associated with your development proposal.

Further information

For further information about our building and development related services please contact our Council on 02 6626 7000.